Saturday, April 26, 2014

Italian Red Sauce

I thought it was about time I posted my Italian Red Sauce I have already posted my Meat Sauce which can be found here.  I made sure I measured everything out for this recipe.  When I cook Italian I don't measure, I add and I taste.

When I make red sauce I don't use it for at least 3 days I like the flavors to marry in the fridge.  Use this sauce in your favorite Italian dish, over spaghetti or as a dipping sauce.  This sauce also freezes very well.

















Italian Red Sauce

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I like my sauce spicy I added 3+ teaspoons)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 to 3 teaspoons sugar (see Note)
2 bay leaves
3/4 cup dry red wine
2 - 32oz cans Italian whole tomatoes
1 bunch fresh basil leaves, chiffonade chopped

In a dutch oven heat olive oil on medium high heat, add onions, salt and pepper, stir.  Put flame on low and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add garlic and simmer for 3 minutes. (watch the garlic so it doesn't brown)  Add tomato paste, red pepper flakes, bay leaves and oregano, stir for 1 minutes then add red wine and sugar, simmer for 5 minutes.

Add tomatoes using your hands to gently break them up.  Cover and simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir the chiffonade basil leaves into the sauce, turn off heat and sit covered for 20 minutes.  Adjust seasoning to your taste.  Pour into mason jars and refrigerate until ready to use (at least 3 days).  If you are going to freeze, do not freeze in mason jars but in freezer containers.

Note: I like my sauce more on the non sweet side, I start with 1 teaspoon sugar and taste and adjust until I find my liking.
















Something tells me Grandma Concetta would approve


Sharing the love at The Country Cook: Weekend Potluck #115,  Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday #92 and Treasure Box Tuesday 17

4 comments:

  1. Love grandma Concetta! Your red sauce sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, Concetta was a real pistol and a fantastic cook

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. More like a work of art! Love this, Pam! Pinned and shared on Facebook. The photography is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips