Friday, January 2, 2015

The Reading Room

Happy New Year - I hope you had a beautiful first day of 2015. I had a great day of doing nothing. My day consisted of stalking the internet, watching HGTV, The Rose Parade, Living Big Sky or something like that, The HGTV Dream House, caught up on Hell on Wheels and picked up where I left off on The Walking Dead.

I stopped making New Years Resolutions, in my mind if you broke a resolution - you failed - end of story, stop trying. Instead I make Goals, if I slip up no big deal,  get right back on that horse and try again. You are going to see this a lot on my blog this year. I have different ideas on wording things to trick my brain.

One of my Goals for 2015 is to read at least 12 books. For a reader that is nothing but for someone like me it is a hard goal - I am dyslexic and ADHD.

WARNING - You will read some "R" rated words

I struggle with failing, I struggle with being labeled stupid. I had a grade school teacher tell me she didn't understand why I even bothered coming to school, I could not be taught, I was stupid. Let me tell you those words fucked me up my whole life. I was going to use the word messed up just to keep my blog G-Rated, but "messed up" doesn't measure up to how those words have effected with over the years. It wasn't until I was in my early fifties that I was tested and labeled with dyslexia and ADHD. It is a relief to know what is going on in my head and now I'm working very hard to try new things and trying not to be so hard on myself, when things take longer to learn or stick.  Enough on that....moving on.

The Reading Room

I started this book this summer (I won it on a blog) and I am ready to finish it.  Still Life With Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen.  Check it out at Amazon,  If you would like to join me in reading this book I am only on page 26. If you have already read it I would love to know what you thought about the book.



















Do you have any reading Goals for 2015 and what are you currently reading.  You can also follow me on GoodReads - Pam Capone.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honesty here, Pam. I identify with you more thank you know. Although I've never had any formal testing, I believe I too have pretty severe learning disabilities which were never diagnosed. I went through my entire schooling years feeling dumb and less than everyone else. My parents didn't know how to deal with my learning disabilities and from them, especially my dad, I was told I was dumb and that I wasn't using my head. To this day it's something I struggle with and something I've been trying to overcome. I push myself into areas where I'm the most uncomfortable in order to compensate, but that's not always the best place for me to be...so messed up. In any case, I really appreciate your post and feel closer to you now knowing that we have this in common. I have about a gazillion books on my nightstand at this point (all that I've only gotten a short way through) so adding another one is probably not the best idea for me. However, I'd like to read along with you. I'm torn, but I'm going to check what it's about on amazon. Thanks for the invite to read along. Happy new year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee for posting your struggle too. School was so hard I remember having to take the SAT's and I tried reading those problems and felt my head spinning I ended up just filling in the dots without even trying. I wish they new about it back then maybe then I could have received help or at least know it wasn't me. Happy New Year to you and your family.

      Delete

 
Blogging tips