Tuesday, January 20, 2015

What I Had On Hand Chicken Cacciatore

I have been faithfully working out walking and I have now incorporated running into my regiment. Today I walked/ran 6 miles and I was ready for a hearty dinner.

I love when I can take things that I already have on hand and make a delicious dinner. This is my version of a Chicken Cacciatore from items I had in my refrigerator and pantry. This dish is enough for 4 people or meals for 2 nights for Bill and I.














What I Had On Hand Chicken Cacciatore

1 tablespoon plus extra virgin olive oil
3 links Hot Italian Sausages cut into bitesized pieces (I used Johnsonville)
4 chicken thighs with skin and bones
salt and pepper
1 onion chopped
3 large cloves garlic, sliced and chopped a couple of times
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 cup pitted whole kalamata olives
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
1 cup red wine
1/2 of a 32oz box unsalted chicken stock
1 24oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce
1 pound thin spaghetti pasta cooked following boxed directions
parmesan cheese
Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large dutch oven heat olive oil over a medium heat. Add sausage cooking on all sides for 4 minutes total, remove from pot. Salt and pepper chicken on all sides. Place in stock pot skin side down for 5 minutes; turn over and cook for 5 minutes, remove from pot. If needed drizzle pot with a little more olive oil and add onions, red pepper flakes, rosemary, oregano and thyme, sauté for 4 minutes add garlic and mushrooms, sautéing for 3 minutes. Add wine; bring to a boil while deglazing the bottom of the pot. Add olives, chicken stock, chicken thighs and sausage back to the pot, top with pasta sauce, stir and adjust salt and pepper if needed; place lid on dutch oven. Place in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Prepare pasta, spoon chicken dish over pasta, top with cheese and parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips