Thursday, April 12, 2012

April showers? Bake!

Yesterday it rained and I couldn't have been any more happy.  I have some wildflower seeds like would like to get planted.  This morning when I woke up there was 3 inches of snow on the ground.  I knew that it would melt fast but we also have another storm ready to hit us tomorrow.  My poor daffodils didn't know what hit them.  


At least this year we are getting a real spring with a little snow mixed in to keep us on our toes.  I opened the refrigerator and looked right a the Sarabeth's Jam that my dear friend Jenny sent me.  Hmm, coffee sounded good so I decided to make Jam Bars with Sarabeth's Plum Cherry Jam. 


Jam Bars

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, cut into small cubes
2 eggs
1 tablespoon cream
1/2 cup of your favorite jam 
4 tablespoons melted butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups flaked coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla (I substituted Almond Extract for the vanilla)

1.  In a bowl add flour, baking powder and butter.  Either cut in with a pastry blender or use a hand mixer to blend the butter into the flour mixture until the consistency of cornmeal.

2. Stir in 1 egg and cream, mix until a soft dough is formed.

3.  Spread into a ungreased 8 or 9 inch square pan (you can add parchment paper to the bottom of the pan to make it easier to remove from pan) Pressing with fingers to cover bottom with an even layer of dough.

4. Spread jam over the dough evenly.

5.  Stir together the remaining egg, butter, sugar, coconut and vanilla. Spread on top of the jam.

6.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned.  Cool completely, cut into  1 1/2 to 2 inch squares. 

Now it's time enjoy these lovely bars with a big cup of coffee.

Until Next Time,
Pam


3 comments:

  1. Jam bars! I love peanut butter and jelly bars - and these look just as good! I love being a dear friend and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for a good jam bars recipe lately - I think I have found it :) Happy to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Crunchy Creamy and Sweet. These bars are so good, fast and easy. I had one with my coffee this morning and thinking next time I'm going to try Jenny's suggestion with the BP & J.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips