Friday, May 24, 2013

Mashed Potato Salad

Not going to lie this is a goofy photo but it is the only one I have since the potato salad was devoured right after I made it.  I love potato salad and I like to dry different recipes but this is my tried and true recipe that I don't even have to look it up I have made it so many times I can make it blindfolded.  

My favorite potatoes salads have always been the creamy mashed ones with some chunks of potatoes.   After that the skies the limit in what you can put in a potato salad.  What are your favorite add ins?


Mashed Potato Salad

5 large russet potatoes, diced
5 pickled hard boiled eggs, diced (you can use regular hard boiled eggs)
3 large jalapeño peppers, diced (optional)
1 large onion, diced
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
5 stalks celery, sliced
1 large can black whole olives, rough chop
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup miracle whip
4 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
1/2 cup pickle relish (sweet or dill, I used sweet)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasonings (optional)

Peel and dice potatoes place in a large dutch oven and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, drain.  While the potatoes are cooking dice and chop the eggs, peppers, onion, cilantro, celery and olives place in a bowl and set aside.  Take 1/2 the potatoes and mashed them up really good add the remaining potatoes and give them a light mashing so there are still chunks.  Add the bowl with all the items you chopped up and mix them into the potatoes.  In the bowl that had the veggies add mayo, miracle ship, mustards and relish and mix together.  Add the salt, pepper and creole seasonings mix together and taste for seasonings adjust if needed.  Mix into the potatoes.  At this point this is your base some people like their potato salad wet add more mayo or miracle whip until it is the way you like it.  I add a little more of the miracle whip I like the tangy sweetness.  Refrigerate for a couple hours before serving.

Until Next Time,
Pam

1 comment:

  1. That is delicious bowl of potato salad Pam I love it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips