Friday, June 27, 2014

Cookbook Review: Haute Dogs - Russell Van Kraayenburg

I have the perfect cookbook to review for the upcoming Independence Day celebration.  Who doesn't love hot dogs?  I love them and they are the perfect summer food for both the kiddo's and adults.

Book:  Haute Dogs - Recipes for delicious Hot Dogs, Buns and Condiments

Author: Russell Van Kraayenburg



















Haute Dogs starts out giving you a history of the hot dog along with some educational history tidbits.  It then goes into "The Basics" from the ingredients, cooking methods and assembly.

You will find classic American hot dogs along with International favorites.  I love that there is a section just for the vessel "Buns" and a section for condiments.

Some of the Dogs you will find in this cookbook:

The New York Style Hot Dog

Texas BBQ Dog

Maxwell Street Polish

Loaded Guatemalan Meat Dog

German Three-In-A-Bun

There are over 40 different hot dogs, something for everyone.

Pros:  Very nicely written - Informative - Great photos (and hot dogs are not the easiest to photograph) - Variety

Cons:  Chili Base Recipe, I did make the chili recipe and it was too tomatoey, it tasted more like a pasta sauce than chili for a hot dog.  I'm not sure if the 8 oz of tomato paste was a typo or not.  Also the recipe said it was enough for 4 hot dogs I felt it was enough for at least 10 to 12 hot dogs.  I will using the leftover chili with pasta tomorrow night.




2 comments:

  1. Perfect time to provide a review on this book with the 4th of July coming up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. Hot dogs are a beast to photograph so I'm glad you found them attractive. For me, a cookbook is 75% about the photos! I do love a good dog every now and then. I'll keep this cookbook on my list.
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips