Sunday, June 15, 2014

Italian Breakfast Sandwich

I am late this week on my breakfast recipe.  I needed to make some changes in my life regarding exercising and what I am eating.  I am not saying I'm dieting to me diets fail, I am making life style changes.  I will be posting more healthy recipes along with my regular recipes, after all my skinny husband could use some meat on his bones.  What I will try to do (not sure if I can do it for every recipe but I will try) is give ingredients both ways as I have done with the recipe below.

I have started a second blog with my journey if you would like to check it out and these recipes will show up there too now and then.  My Blog - My Journey This blog is being brutally honest and is not always viewer friendly, just a warning.

Italian Breakfast Sandwich



























8 slices prosciutto, thin sliced (I used Boar's Head Deli Slices)
5 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
a few cranks of fresh cracked pepper
4 tablespoons water (you can substitute milk)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion chopped small
4 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes with basil julienne cut, rough chop (I used Bella Sun Luci)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
fresh mozzarella, cut into 1 oz slices (more if you are not watching calories)
Fresh basil leaves
Good Italian Bread, sliced and lightly toasted (I used La Brea Bakery, roasted garlic)
English Muffins (if you are watching calories)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cover cookie sheet with foil and lay prosciutto slices flat. (If you are using an english muffin I put the prosciutto in round bundles.  Bake prosciutto for about 10 to 15 minutes, just until barely crisp. Since it is very thin keep an eye on it.

Heat olive oil in a skillet, sauté onions while you are preparing the other ingredients. Add sun dried tomatoes, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes, stir with onions for about 2 to 3 minutes.  In a bowl whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and water.  Add to onions and gently fold eggs into the onions, cook until your doneness liking.  Remove from heat to assemble sandwiches.

Lightly toast bread/english muffins.  If you are not watching calories drizzle bread with some olive oil.  Take on half of the bread and add mozzarella cheese and place under broiler until melted. On the other bread add prosciutto, eggs, basil and top with the melted cheese bread. (note: if you are counting calories I scooped out approx 4 rounded tablespoons of egg, which is about 1 1/2 eggs.  Makes 4 sandwiches

Calories if using english muffin - 396

Sharing the Love at Best Blog Recipes - The Weekend re-Treat Link Party #80



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips