Monday, August 26, 2013

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

FOOTBALL SEASON!  I have a bunch of teams I cheer on however, the number one team I cheer for are the New Orleans Saints.  I have been a Saints fan for over 30 years, yes even during the paper bag days.  That reminds me I need to get a Number 9 Drew Brees jersey.  I currently have a jersey but that player has long left the Saints and that calls for a new jersey.

www.sportsgeekery.com

I know it's pre-season football but hey at my house football is football and every game needs Game Day grub.  In honor of the "Pig Skin" I am making Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw.


Pulled Pork Sandwiches




Day One

Large Pork Butt

Pork Rub

3 tablespoons San Antonio Style Quick Chili Mix
3 tablespoons Lawry's Seasonings
3 tablespoons Chili Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper

Trim pork butt of excess fat and sprinkle generously with pork rub (any extra rub place in a airtight container).  Wrap tight with cellophane place in a casserole dish in the refrigerator overnight. 


Day Two

1 32 oz box beef broth 
1 carrot, cut into chunks
1 small onion, cut into chunks
1 bay leaf

Sear pork butt in a skill then place in a large dutch oven at beef broth, carrot, onion and bay leaf.  Cover and place in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 4 to 6 hours until it is tender.  Check every 2 hours to see if it needs more liquid.  If it does need liquid just add water half way up the pork.  Allow to cool to handle, remove any fat and shred pork.  I like to crisp up the pork for my sandwiches.  I heat olive oil in a skillet and add the shredded pork. On a medium high flame I cook the cook until it just starts to crisp but still tender.

You can also put it in a slow cooker overnight on high.  I would add a 2 cups of water to the broth for the slow cooker.   Reserve some of the broth to dip the buns in.  The pulled pork also makes great tacos, nachos, burritos and enchiladas.

Bonus Hint:  The rub mixture is also delicious sprinkled lightly on watermelon, cantaloupe and apples

Coleslaw


1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
zest of one lemon
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 large head of cabbage
3 carrots
1/2 onion, grated

Using a food processor chop cabbage and carrots finely (I will hand chop the cabbage and carrots after I run them through the food processor).  Place in a large bowl mix in the grated onion.  Whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour oven cabbage mixture.  Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Serve on top of the pulled pork sandwich or as a side dish

Building your sandwich you can add your favorite BBQ Sauce, Onions or Cheese

1 comment:

 
Blogging tips