Monday, June 10, 2013

Spicy Pinto Beans

If you have been following my blog you will see a pattern I love spicy food.  99% of the time I am splashing Tabasco on my eggs. I don't like it so hot that it zaps your taste buds where your mouth is numb I just like a nice kick.  I stay away from habanero chilies I had a very bad experience and I think it was at least a month before I could taste food again. The nice thing about this recipe is just with a couple adjustments you can bring down the heat.  


Spicy Pinto Beans

1 lb package of dried pinto beans
approx enough water to cover 4 inches above beans 
1 tablespoon Fiesta Quick Chili Mix
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon chipolte chili powder
1 bay leaf
1/2 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, rough chop
1 4oz can diced jalapeños fire roasted

Optional Toppings
Cheese
Salsa
Cilantro
Sour Cream

Go through pinto beans and take out any stones or wonky pinto beans rinse with cold water drain, add to a bowl with onions and garlic and set aside.

In a large stock pot add water, spices and jalapeños and bring to a boil.  Slowly add beans, onions and garlic and bring back up to a boil.  Reduce heat just until there is a gently boil, occasionally give the beans and nice stir and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the beans are tender, taste for seasoning add additional salt if needed.  If the water reduces and you can see the beans just add a couple cups of water and turn up the heat until it is just starting to boil then lower again.   Your beans are now ready to serve as a side dish, over rice, in burritos, nachos or anything else you want.  

Note:  For less spicy beans leave out the chipolte chili powder and substitute 4oz can mild diced green peppers for the jalapeños.

Until Next Time,
Pam

1 comment:

  1. That is delicious bowl of beans Pam, I love anything with little heat.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips