Thursday, May 3, 2012

Product Review - Pickled Eggs

Product Review:  Pickled Eggs

 One of our favorite places to eat was in Los Angeles right next to Chinatown Philippes The Original.  They have the best French Dip sandwiches.  We would always get the same thing.  Bill would get a Ham Dip and a piece of cherry pie.  I would get the pork double dip with swiss cheese and a side of macaroni salad.  We would also get some kosher dill pickles and our all time favorite Philippes Pickled Eggs.  Now if you are ever in Los Angeles Philippes needs to be on your list of places to stop at.  One word of advice when NOT to go to Philippes - lunch time and when the Dodgers are playing, the line goes out the door.

Of course their recipe is a closely guarded secret and I worked and worked trying to figure it out.  I came pretty darn close too.  

This is my recipe for Pickled Eggs

2 dozen hard boiled eggs peeled
juice from 6 cans of pickled beets (thank goodness I love beets)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 medium onion, cut in thin slices
1 handful of pickling spices
1/2 cup hot chili peppers, cut in half (I use Mezzetta)
1/2 the juice from the chili pepper jar

Mix all ingredients in one of those large jars you would make sun tea in.  Add eggs and put in your fridge for 3 to 4 weeks.

Now if you don't want to go through all of that meaning - waiting 3 weeks to enjoy these beautiful purple eggs I found the best jarred pickled eggs I have ever had.


Amish Wedding Foods makes four kinds, Pickled Eggs, Pickled Beet Eggs, Mustard Eggs and my favorite Jalapeno Eggs.  The Jalapeno Eggs are slightly sweet and then you get that heat at the back of your throat.  Not only do I eat them right out of the jar I also put them in salads, sandwiches, egg salad and potato salad.  Their pickled beets are so delicious too.

I am lucky enough that our local ranch store carries them but they do not carry their whole product line.  You can purchase them online at Troyers Country Market.

Until Next Time,
Pam



3 comments:

  1. You know I liked pickled things and I liked scrambled eggs - but I'm not a hard boiled egg person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left that comment too soon - I got distracted by the "prove you're not a robot" and hit Publish - LOL....but I was going to say - I might like these. Does Bill like pickled eggs too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill loves pickled eggs and he introduced them to me.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips