Thursday, January 24, 2013

Food Love - Texas Ranch Beans

Beans Beans the magical fruit......well, you know the rest 

I always have cans of Bush's baked beans in the house they are my favorite of the canned beans.  A go to side dish that I can grab at the last minute and heat up.  

When it comes to Ranch Beans I'm going to make them myself.  This way I can get the seasonings the way I like them.  The Texas Ranch Beans make a nice side dish or hearty enough to have by themselves.  

Texas Ranch Beans

2 lbs dried pinto beans
water
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons Tony Chachere's Creole Seasonings
1 tablespoon Chipotle Paprika Seasoning
1/4 cup Fiesta Quick Chili Mix Seasonings

The night before start by going through the pinto beans looking for foreign matter like stones and pick out and throw away.  Place beans in a large bowl  and cover with water and let sit over night.

Next day - Drain beans and rinse with cold water.  Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven add chopped onions and sauté for about 5 to 8 minutes.   Add garlic stir for just a couple minutes add beans and enough water to cover beans by about 2 to 3 inches.  Cook on high heat until it comes to a boil.  Lower to a low simmer and cover and cook for 1 hour.  Stir beans and add seasonings cover again and cook for another hour.  Taste beans to check seasonings, the above measurements are your base seasonings.  Now you can add more to your liking.  Since my husband loves salt I added more, I like heat so I added a tablespoon of cayenne pepper, it's up to you.  Cover and cook for another hour.   Garnish with sour cream, salsa, lime and cilantro if you like. Serve with garlic bread or flour tortillas.

Perfect amount for a house full of Super Bowl Fans

Until Next Time,
Pam
Jam Hands






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips