Monday, February 25, 2013

Ginger Lime Pickled Cucumbers

My husband does not care for cucumbers, no problem more for me.  I love cucumbers, in my salad, cucumber sandwiches or a bowl of them to munch on.  I love to make quick pickled cucumbers and will make a jar to have on hand for snacking.  I had some fresh ginger and a lime and decided to add it to my pickled cucumbers.  

Those two flavors gave the cucumbers a refreshing asian flair.  Guess who likes cucumbers now - you guessed it my husband.  He ate the whole jar I had one little taste that was it.


Ginger Lime Pickled Cucumbers

1 large english cucumber
1 large yellow bell pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
pinch of turmeric (optional)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
fresh ginger, cut into 8 matchstick size slices
1/2 lime cut into 5 or 6 slices

Cut cucumber and bell pepper in thin slices. Place in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let set for 30 minutes.

In a saucepan over medium heat add water, vinegar, sugar, turmeric, red pepper flakes and ginger, bring to a boil, boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat add limes and allow to cool.

Rinse cucumbers and bell peppers pat dry getting as much liquid off as possible.  Place in a jar or bowl and add liquid, cover and refrigerate over night.  Keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days.  If they last that long.

Until Next Time,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips